Behavioural interviewing process
There are many methods of recruiting employees. Taking into account the dynamically changing labour market, we see businesses more and more often deciding to take multi-path activities and look for specialists in various ways. The process of recruiting employees and varied techniques that go along the way are also inherently related to the selection of the best candidates. Here is everything you need to know on how different recruitment methods can save you time in the recruitment process and find you the best fit for your business.
Your decision on finding a person who fits the job profile, is highly motivated and committed to a new job shouldn't be rushed. When preparing to launch the recruitment process, you should consider the fact that recruiting process is a difficult and time-consuming task.
Recruitment is known as the process of selecting information about given candidate in terms of the requirements of the job to which they aspire. Therefore, it requires determining what specific abilities, talents, predispositions, and skills should the person you are looking for have. Very different research tools have been developed for this purpose, checking the predispositions desired by the employer to a greater or lesser extent. But are these tools able to provide you with adequate knowledge about the person you recruit? Our experience from hundreds of interviews conducted over the last years shows that all the information you need can be obtained during a well-conducted interview process.
When you look at an iceberg, what you see above water is only 20% of the iceberg — its other 80% is below water. That 20% above water represents skills. The other 80% below water consists of mindset (40%) and legacy (40%).
To implement the iceberg interviewing model, try this during your next interview.
Spend 20% of the time assessing skill set: Either through different interviewing techniques/questions or test projects, figure out whether or not the candidate has the basic skills to do the job you're recruiting for.
Spend 40% of the time assessing mindset: If the role requires the person to create new products or services, then you may want to assess whether or not your candidates have the mindset of risk-taking by asking them to tell you a career story where they had to take a risk to create something new. They may have all the skills needed to create new products, but not the mindset of risk-taking when it comes to creating new products. And that may stifle your business growth. So think about the mindset(s) required to succeed in that role, and then take the time to assess all those within each candidate so that you don't end up hiring a "false positive."
Spend the last 40% of the time assessing legacy: This is that part of the interview where you want to assess whether your candidates want your job just for the pay check so they can pay their bills, or if they really see their job as their craft. Organisations and employees succeed when they both want to leave a legacy behind with their remarkable work.
The iceberg model for interviewing candidates can help you hire top talent every single time — talent who will take your organisation to the next level. The question is, do you want to throw away the "old" interviewing template and try something new? Let us know if you wish to receive a list of questions that you can ask your candidate or be ready to answer them if you're preparing yourself for an interview.